Monday, May 10, 2010

We Go To The Beach Everyday

The title says it all. So "Nile Flu" as it has been dubbed afflicted all 7 of us throughout last week. I wont share details since I try to keep this blog PG but its been a pretty rough week for all of us. Now, most have recovered and those who arent 100%, including myself, are on antibiotics to rid our bodies of Egypt! Early last week, when the "Nile Flu" was just emerging and quite ugly, I of course opted not to go to my classes. After two days of this, I started to get used to it- no waking up early, no walking in the heat, no being bored- the "good life" as Kanye would say. So wednesday, when all my friends went to the beach, i skipped my two afternoon classes and went also!!! The weather is absolutely perfect here - i mean its too hot for my liking but its perfect for obtaining a deeeep dark tan, my only goal in life. We spent the day hanging out, swimming in the Med, and enjoying yummy smoothies from my fav place on the beach. On Thursday, I was still under the influence of the "Nile Flu" and skipped class again! im such a disappointment! But on thursday i have more an excuse because one of my guy friends from Tufts came to visit Israel and we got to have lunch and hang at the beach for the day. I also got to see Arielle and her friend Nani for a while also! Thursday night marked the beginning of my friend Halley's 21st bday so we went out for a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant in Tel Aviv and then to a small bar for her first legal drink. The next day, I didnt go to the beach...believe it or not...in the morning, my art class went on a fieldtrip to a museum in petach tikvah which featured video art that focused on the holocaust. afterwards, we went for a bday brunch for Halleys bday and then rested and headed out for more 21st bday celebrations- my friend from tufts also came which was fun! Saturday we had another beach day, of course! The weather was hothothot and we were in the water constantly- no complaints. My friend joined us as well - loved showing off my beach/home! Saturday we had a low key night at home.
Sunday was mothers day but not in israel..still important!! In honor of my mommy, i got a manicure and pedicure! what a great daughter! Monday (today) marked the beginning of another week of classes, which I have decided I will attend. Today in my Islam/Terrorism/Politics class we began our discussion about the emergence of Hezbollah. We went quickly through the history of Hezbollah and spent most of the time speaking about the present situation between Israel, Lebanon, and Iran. Recently, this topic has been coming up more and more with Israelis and soldiers- and its clear that a serious war is going to break out. Our conversation in class was very direct, without fluff, and it was really the first time it hit me that I am living in a country in the midst of war- i know it sounds strange..i've been living in Israel this whole time (even my birthright trip was during the Gaza operation in 2009) but for the most part, my time here has been calm. now, tensions are rising and israelis, my professors, and friends are beginning to speak of the situation with a more serious tone and more uncertain perspective on the future. It will be hard to go home and watch the conflict unfold from a far -really knowing people in israel, knowing soldiers in the war, and knowing the places i will see on TV.
So there you have it - beach time and war? interesting combination but somehow it feels like home. :)
more updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment